Wednesday, January 19, 2011

C'est la vie!!

I LOVE the beginning of each New Year. I love everything that goes along with goal setting, making lists, and scheduling everything in my calendar (can we say nerd). However, I've decided that for 2011 I will be turning a new leaf, my resolution is to throw out my typical resolutions (lose weight, exercise, read scriptures more, etc) but resolve to enjoy life and take things as they come. Those of you who know me well know that this is not only terrifying to me but extremely difficult for my OCD'ish anal and let’s face it, pessimistic personality. I have to have my plans, my lists, and my schedule in order to survive. For the most part all my planning, listing, and goal setting usually ends up in me feeling like a failure because I wasn't able to accomplish everything I had set out to do (even if I accomplished 99% of it). I think Chris' biggest complaint about me would be my tendency to worry about EVERYTHING. He has always said "crap happens Lani, it’s how we deal with it" which I translate to "c'est la vie" (it doesn’t sound so harsh), or "asi es las vida", "così è la vita", or "so ist das leben". Such is life!! Life has and will always surprise me with good and bad and instead of reacting to the bad like a crazy woman I want to learn from it gracefully and trick the pessimist in me into thinking it really was a good thing. I spend way too much time looking for the negative and I usually miss out on all the fun life has to offer. And I’m just figuring this out now you ask? No. I could have told you this long ago, but 2011 seems like a perfect time to start. Although there are negative side effects, if you will, to my anal retentive tendencies (other than driving Chris crazy) I do feel like some good does come from it and because of that I more than likely will not try to throw it all out the window. I must keep my sanity somehow!

Here’s to 2011.

HAPPY NEW YEAR!

7 comments:

Nicki Dunn said...

You go girl. I tend to have a similar personality. Growing up my Dad would constantly say, "Don't worry Nicki!" and now Mckay says it a lot. It's good to let loose and although I agree-lots of good comes from these "tendencies", it's fun to be the carefree girl too! Hope it's a great year for you. XO

Caroline Craven said...

I didn't even bother to make resolutions this year. It is incredibly freeing!!!

Nicole & Ammon said...

Sounds like a great plan! I need to do more of that! I am such a list maker and have to check things off as I go. I hate feeling like I have tons to do! So good job and good luck!! Hope 2011 is a great year for the both of you!

Kim Lloyd said...

Great job girl!!! Hope you have an amazing year! When are you going to be up in Utah next? I'd love to see you sometime!!! It's been 10 years this summer, can you believe it!!

Danny and Darcie said...

Lans, I think that is a great goal to set for yourself. I hope that this year will bring you and Chris much happiness. You deserve it. I love you and appreciate you so much as a sister.

Heidi :) :) ;) said...

I hope you have a fabulous year! I think as women we are so hard on our selves. I think you are amazing and I hope you get everything you want. :)

Loni said...

Hooray for Lani! I hope this year brings you many joyful moments! Life is for living. Joy in journey! Love you!!