Wednesday, January 12, 2011

Remembering.

So it was a year ago today that the earthquake devoured Haiti killing thousands and leaving even more homeless. A year later... and one million people remain displaced and living in tent cities with less that 5% of the rubble having been removed. It's very difficult to put into words how Haiti and the orphans affected me in a very different way than the orphans of Ecuador. There isn't a day that goes by that I don't think back to our time there and ache to have some of those dark eyed and beautiful children back with me in the safety and comfort of my own home. Last week we had a training on human trafficking at work, (Las Vegas being the city where the most trafficking takes place in the United States). It was mentioned that shortly after the earthquake there was a mass increase in human trafficking from Haiti, most likely women and girls that were left displaced and homeless. I know it happens everywhere but to have more than likely passed by hundreds of these women/girls while we were there and to think of the fear they live in on a daily basis breaks my heart. I hate to think that all those babies and little girls that we played with in the orphanages will more than likely grow up and be victims of the evil that awaits them. I wish we could make more of a difference.

 
 
I hope and pray for a brighter future for Haiti and for all of us. May we never forget the things that happened and let them change us for the better.


3 comments:

Heidi :) :) ;) said...

You do so much good Lani. I am glad that we are friends.

Graham said...

You're so awesome! I wish I could go and help the way that you did. It is so frustrating to see things like this and not be able to make it all better!

Caroline Craven said...

Sometimes the tragedies one human inflicts upon another is just beyond our comprehension. I have to remember Pres. Hinckley's comments that most of humanity is good and has good intentions towards one another, otherwise life is too depressing.