Monday, May 23, 2011

Earth's fury...

Several things have been going through my mind since last night when my mom called and told me my aunt and her family were in the direct path of the tornado in Joplin, MO. They (5 of them) hunkered down in a bedroom closet and rode out the storm, in what I'm sure seemed like a horror film. They lost everything. I'm so grateful that their lives were spared when so many weren't so lucky. What a traumatic experience to have to live through. I can't imagine losing everything I own in a matter of seconds and not knowing if my family, friends or neighbors were alive. They have only the clothes on their back. When my mom asked my aunt what she needed she said she needed a toothbrush and a pair of shoes. We definitely take the small things for granted. It definitely has put things into persective for me and makes me grateful for the eternal aspects of my life. After Chris and I went to Haiti and saw the devestation there I was in shock but this hits a little closer to home. My prayers are with them and the others who have suffered from the earths fury in this last year.  Here are some pics my cousin's husband took of their neighborhood and home. They are truly lucky to be alive. The community lost their hospital, high school, church buildings, businesses and hundreds of homes. The tornado was a 1/2 mile wide and left a 6 mile path of destruction through the center of the town. They have a long road of recovery ahead.
Love you Aunt Sandie, Hannah, Jeremy, Emma, & Ethan and Sarah too :)


Their house.

This is where they rode out the storm. Can you even believe they survived?





A picture from the church.

 The church building.
                                                                     The church steeple.

 
 I can't believe that the tornado could bend metal, throw vehicles, and tear houses apart, but the tithing slips are still in place.

6 comments:

Ashley said...

Wow. How sad and scary for your aunt and family. I'm glad they are ok.

Rachel H. said...

it is amazing they fared the storm without serious harm! thanks for sharing, those pictures are indeed humbling!

Rachael said...

Oh Lani! That is horrible!!!! I can't imagine how it must have felt to be in the middle of it!
I chuckled a bit that the tithing envelopes were in place! Maybe its a sign we need to donate more to the Humanitarian program.

ShaeMarie and Ryan said...

That is awful Lani! I am so glad that your family is okay. Those pictures are amazing!

Trisha said...

It's almost unbelievable the devastation over there. I can't believe they survived. They must of had angels watching over them!!!

Caroline Craven said...

The tithing slips are an odd thing - you would think the papers would have blown all over the place. We missed you and wish you could have joined us for the girl's get-together. Hope all is going well for you.