Friday, October 8, 2010

Sad day!

So I didn't think I would be posting so soon after my last post but today is a sad day. It has been an ongoing struggle with Turk trying to get him healthy. We have visited the animal hospital 3 times now. On Wednesday Chris and I decided to go out since he was leaving the next day to go to Hawaii. When we came home there was blood, throw up and poop everywhere. (I know...maybe a little too much information.) We went looking for Turk and found him upstairs in our bedroom looking so sick, sorry, and sad. Chris took him immediately to the Vet. You could tell how scared he was, it just broke my heart. They decided to keep him for a week to do tests and see what is really wrong with him. I called the Vet the next day, yesterday, to see how Turk was doing. They had run some tests and found that he had an enormous amount of bacteria in his body that was absorbing all the nutrients that his body needs to survive. The Vet sounded hopeful that with some Vitamin B-12 injections and monitoring he would be okay. Well at about 2:00am this morning I got a  call from Chris in Hawaii. I was somewhat alarmed that he was calling me so early and I prayed that Chris was okay, because I of course was thinking the worse. Chris begins to tell me that the Vet had just called him and that there was bad news. I don't know how else to say it without just saying that when he was going to the bathroom he was pushing so hard to make it come out he pushed his rectum out and the Vet said that the surgery is so intense for a dog Turk's size that she didn't feel like he would make it. Chris wanted to know what I wanted to do. Although I'm not the biggest animal lover I have started getting attatched to Turk and it was a little sad to think that Turk would never be coming back but the only option was to put him down. Chris called the Vet and gave them the go ahead to put him down. At least he's not suffering anymore. I think it's safe to say that we won't be replacing him, at least not for a few years. I may give in again in the future but as for right now no more dogs for our family.



16 comments:

Melissa B said...

Oh, Lani this is so sad. I'm glad we were able to meet Turk at least once. Hope that you two are doing okay. Take care.

Taunya Spaulding said...

oh, that is so sad! i'm not the biggest dog lover either, but that is terrible! i hope you are doing ok with the loss....and without chris

Rachael said...

Lani that is horrible!!!! I am soooo sorry you guys had to deal with that after getting attached to him! Very sad!

Graham said...

How sad!!! I'm so sorry. At least he won't suffer anymore.

Sarah said...

Lani this is so sad! I'm so sorry.

Anonymous said...

this is the saddest thing ever- poor little guy!

Ashley said...

I, too, am so sorry to hear this news.

Kim Lloyd said...

Lani-I'm so sorry! That has got to be so hard, especially to have Chris gone as well! That just breaks my heart!

Rachel H. said...

How awful! So glad all dogs go to heaven though!

Trisha said...

Oh you poor girl! That is horrible but at least he'll be in a better place. How are you doing?! Call me if you need to talk.

Heather said...

I'm so sorry Lani! Hallie will be so sad! He was such a good little doggie. You're one of the strongest and best people that I know! Keep your chin up! We should definitely get together soon!

Caroline Craven said...

Boy, that is tough to get attached to an animal and then to see it suffer. My heart goes out to both of you. What a sad little life Turk lived. Thankfully he had you had Chris to love him in the end. I'm a fir m believer that "all dogs go to heaven". Don't give up on them though, another little dog could also bring you lots of comfort and joy.

Cinderella, the A-Train and Our Little Caboose said...

I am so sorry Lan. It is true that our animals really become a part of our family. I hope you are doing ok, please let me know if you need something. Especially since Chris is gone. Love you.

Caroline Craven said...

Me again! Just had a thought. April is looking for someone to adopt Alex's dog - - why not? It is a lab and they are such good dogs!!! Just a thought.

Nicole & Ammon said...

That is so sad! I'm so sorry! I know all too well how attached someone (myself) can get to a dog. It's the worst when they die! I have sworn off pets for 2 years now and will still be another 2 at least!

Michelle said...

:( I'm so sorry Lani! Hope you're doing okay!