Thursday, October 6, 2011

One of the best weekends ever!!

On September 24th Chris and I flew to Portland for a wedding. It's a day I will never forget and one I never imagined I would be a part of. On  my mission I was blessed to teach the gospel to a 16 year old girl named Diana. Her mother was a member but no one else in the family had wanted to have any part of it. My companion and I began to teach Diana and with every discussion she opened her heart more and more and began to understand the importance of the gospel. After a short time she accepted baptism.

Diana and her family came to the airport when I flew home. I thought this would be the last time I would ever see her. I had dreams, and still have, of returning to Argentina but wasn't sure if they would ever be realized. At 21 she put in her mission papers and was called to serve in Chile. I've kept in touch with her and have been so happy to hear how faithful she has remained even though her mother has become inactive and her sister and father never accepted the gospel. Sometime after she got home from her mission she sent me a message to tell me she was getting married to a guy from Portland and that they would be getting married in the Portland temple and that she really wanted me to be there. I was elated not only that she was marrying in the temple, but in the United States and that I was going to be able to be in attendance.

Chris and I flew to Portland on Friday and stayed with my aunt and uncle, who I might add are great hosts. (Chris and I are already planning a return trip since we didn't get much time to spend with them.) We headed to the temple Saturday morning. As we walked into the temple in the little lobby I could see Diana's mom, sister and dad sitting there. (Remember none of them speak any english whatsoever.) It had been almost 9 years since we were saying our goodbyes at the airport. We sat and chatted with them for a while until the temple attendant came out to get me, they had apparently been expecting me. Since Diana's mom is inactive she didn't have a temple recommend so Diana had asked me to stand in as her mother. I walked back with the temple attendant and there was Diana sitting in a chair all in white looking happy but nervous. When I saw her I remembered so vividly the day she was baptized and now here I am seeing her in all white again. We ran (as reverantly as you can in the temple) to each other and hugged and cried. I was able to go into the bridal room with her and help her put her dress on and do her hair. I sat next to her in the celestial room and held her hand while the sealer spoke to them. It was such an amazing experience and a dream come true. We spent some more time with them at the reception that night. I'm so proud of her. She has been such a blessing in my life.


Te quiero mucho Diana! Deseo lo mejor por vos!


And just a shout out to my awesome hubby. I'm so grateful for his love and support in sitting by my side all weekend not understanding a word, but had a smile on his face none the less.

8 comments:

Taunya Spaulding said...

that is so awesome! i love hearing conversion stories! :)

Rachel H. said...

that is so awesome! the portland temple is so beautiful too

Rachael said...

WOW!!!! That is amazing!!!! How great you were able to be there and be with her on one of the most important days in her life!!!!

Jen said...

Make me cry! So sweet! You look so young in the mission picture. :)

Chris Rocks LOL

Ashley said...

That's awesome Lani! I'm glad you were able to go and be with her. What a cute little brag story about Chris too.

Nicki Dunn said...

Lani, somehow I missed these posts, my blog roll isn't updating. I'm so glad I randomly clicked over to see this one though. What an incredible, beautiful story! It must have just been such a teary and surreal weekend. It made me cry reading it. Glad you had such a great weekend in Portland... Next trip NYC? I think yes:)

Heidi :) :) ;) said...

What an awesome experience Lani! You have had such a positive influence on so many people. You are amazing. :)

Cinderella, the A-Train and Our Little Caboose said...

What a neat story Lans, and what a special experience for you. I am sure there are few moments greater than that.